Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spikey!

While moving, I found an old art project that is one of my favorites from college. I've used it as a decoration in my house ever since I made it.

The class I made it for in college was Design 3-D, and the project was to take any "mundane object," and use it over and over again to make something else. I played with all kinds of ideas (clothes pins, playing cards, etc.), but the one I settled on was golf tees. Lots and lots of golf tees.

I took one big ball (just a random kickball-type ball from the kids section at Wal-Mart) and three ping pong balls and covered every inch of them with golf tees, which resulted in a pretty painful looking objects. But they're awesome at the same time.

Here's some pics :-)









Needless to say, my teacher absolutely loved this execution. You can even take the smaller ones off, and stick them wherever you want on the big one...kinda cool so you can change the shape of the sculpture depending on where you need to put it. The original sculpture way back then had one more medium-sized ball as well, but for whatever reason, the glue I used didn't stick to the material that ball was made of, so I got rid of it.

I've thought about making more...maybe with a more natural wood-colored golf tee...and then use it as a modern looking centerpiece for a table or something, but haven't gotten around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment